Friday, March 25, 2011

Cake Decorating: Class Two, Day Two

We actually had homework for this class, to cover another larger "cake" tier (read:  styrofoam) with fondant.  I learned a few things:

1.  Pay attention to the calendar.  On Monday night, I was frantic to get it done for Tuesday's class, not realizing it was actually for Thursday's class.

2.  If you have fondant that's been opened, even if it's in a plastic bag you think is sealed, check it out before you start kneading it.  Unbeknownst to me, the bad had torn a bit, and the fondant on that side had hardened to a rock.  It was just along the edge, and I didn't need all the fondant, but it was definitely rocky.  And I didn't think to check it.  So when I started kneading, I found that I was kneading pebbles throughout my fondant, which was really annoying.  I tried to pick them out, but there were a lot so I gave up.  It meant lumps in my fondant and an inability to roll it as thin as I should have, but no one was eating it anyway, so I just rolled with it.

Behold the homework:


See the white spots?  Yeah, fondant pebbles.

I brought it to class anyway.  And here's what I did with it...


I love fleur de lis, and I love the whole Mardi Gras theme!  And those appliqués in between are textured too.

And then I finished off the top tier.


Together, it looks like this.


Not bad, right?  Not perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad.  And yes, this was a Topsy Turvy class.  And no, the cake's not topsy turvy.  Vanessa did give us styrofoam to form a wedge to make it topsy turvy, but I don't have any dowels for it.  And honestly, the fondant at this point is hard as a rock.  I'm not sure I could get a dowel through it to hold the cake together.  So I just get a two-tier cake and the knowledge of how to make it topsy turvy.

Eric has requested, and I think I'd love to try, a topsy turvy Mardi Gras themed cake for our annual Mardi Gras in June party.  How awesome would that be?!

3 comments:

Amy W said...

I'd say you're ready to take on the real deal! Great job, Larissa!!

Mrs. G said...

The cake looks great!

DANA said...

You made it into the finals at Saturday Mornings! Here is the link:

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/03/round-four-finalists-for-march.html

Voting will begin tonight! I will send you a button to display and prizes will be announced when voting starts! Good luck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails