Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Sheep & Wool

This past weekend was the amazing New York State Sheep & Wool Festival at the Dutchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck, NY.  And when I say amazing, I mean it.  It's huge, with a hefty attendance.

It made me think... just a year ago, I'd just taken up spinning, and attended with friends, on the hunt for some wool and mohair roving with which to practice before my first angora bun shearing.  This year, I went with the same friends on Sunday, plus more spinning friends, plus Eric, to show him why I was so excited.


I've been spinning for over a year now, and I've gotten good fast, if I do say so myself.  This year, I had a more narrow idea of what I was looking for.  First, I got a huge bag - 5.5 lbs! - of a raw fleece I've never tried before... Navajo-Churro, a threatened heritage breed.  I'm glad to buy the fleece to spin, as a market for it will give the farmer/owners the incentive and capital they need to maintain and rebuild the breed.



I was also in the market for some natural dyes for my yarn, and some naturally-dyed roving.  I got these really nifty Japanese mud-based dyes that I'm very much looking forward to trying.  Plus I got some of the roving pictured below, the green you see in the top middle, which is Corriedale dyed in yarrow and indigo, and a beautiful bright yellow you can't see in the photo, more Corriedale, but dyed in weld.


There was braided roving too, which I've never tried.  Didn't get any this year, either, despite the tempting prettiness.



For the knitters, crocheters, and weavers who may or may not also be spinners, there was a boatload of yarn too.  The colors... all the colors!  Amazing.





There were finished products, too.  Knitted and crocheted clothes and accessories, felted suit, ornaments, toys, and cat beds.  And hooked tapestries and rugs.  I was, of course, enamored with the Halloween ones.


There were all sorts of tools I recognized, like carders, Turkish spindles, and even antique wheels.






There were even vendors of beautiful pelts.  Something for everyone, for sure.

But then I saw something I'd never seen before.  It was so cool!  It was a mini tabletop spinning wheel... that works like a walking/great wheel!  You draft with one hand while spinning the handle with the other.  I did try it, but stopped for fear of making a mess of their yarn.  It was hard!


And of course, the sheep part of Sheep and Wool... and goats, too!  It's settled, I really, really, really need angora goats.  Their fleece is mohair.  And they're adorable.


And they like to be scratched behind the ear, just like Jack.  In fact, this one tilted it's head just like Jack when Eric scratched it.


Look at that 'do!  Before they're sheared, they look like they have no eyes.  It's awesome.  I need them, I tell you.



And there were cashmere goats.  So soft!  These kids were adorable.


Of course, can't have a Sheep & Wool Festival without sheep.



The personality!


The bangs!



And?  Alpacas & llamas!


Alpacas are awesomely ridiculous looking, but llamas are really pretty.  Love those ears!

Check back here at Reef Botanicals, the Facebook page, and in the Facebook group to see what I do with my new acquisitions!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails